IKAN BAKAR – Malaysian Grilled Fish
- Shallots – 10 Nos
- Lemongrass 2, white parts only
- Candlenuts – 5
- Kafir Lime leaves 3
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Galangal – 1 inch piece
- Chilies – 4
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1/4 cup
- Mahi Mahi Fillet – 600 gms
- Tamarind Paste – 5 Tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Brown sugar – Tbsp
- Cilantro, chopped
- Banana leaves (large enough to cover the pan)
- Coconut oil
- Blend all ingredients mentioned under the “To Grind” section to a smooth paste.
- Heat a pan, add the spice paste and fry for about 10 minutes adding a little water if it turns too dry.
- Add tamarind, salt, sugar and water and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Coat the fish with this masala and allow to marinate for a couple of hours.
- Heat another pan and layer it with banana leaves and drizzle coconut oil.
- Place the marinated fish on the banana leaf and sear it for 2-3 minutes on each side, taking care not to break the fillet while flipping.
- Once the fish is cooked through, place it on a serving dish and garnish with lime and chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with rice.